Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Holy Bull Stakes

I don’t even know where to begin when it comes to Sunday’s Holy Bull Stakes.  During the warm up, Hansen did not look that good to me.  Maybe it was just the shots that I was seeing, but if he was not the 2 year old champ, and I didn’t know who he was, by his warm up, I would not have bet any money on him.  In the gate, he also seemed fairly restless, which brings me to my question, was Ramon even trying to get the horse to settle down?  I’m not sure he was.  At the break, Hansen tripped a bit and it was pretty far from a clean start.  He was with the pack and then pulled himself together to get on a lead by about 2 lengths, setting very quick early fractions (probably a little too quick for Hansen’s first time out since a long layoff-here I blame Ramon for poor riding-he should of got him to slow down a little bit and RELAX).  Then at the turn, the other horses started to creep up on him, and BAM Algorithms looked like he wasn’t even trying as he flew down the stretch to win by 5 lengths.  Algorithms, is now 3-3 and I think he may be a horse we want to look out for on the Derby trail.  I have a lot of love for Hansen, but I was disappointed in his performance.  Yes, he got a bad break, and there was a sloppy track, but it very well can rain that first Saturday in May.  Look at last year’s Belmont Stakes- the track was very sloppy, and we had long shot Ruler on Ice win.  I don’t think we should write Hansen off of being a top Triple Crown contender, but now we have a clearer picture of what he’s working with.
Congratulations to Algorithms and his connections.  What will be next for this colt?

No comments:

Post a Comment