Thursday, April 26, 2012

Daddy Long Legs.... Possible Derby Threat


So there is no denying the level of talent in this years Kentucky Derby, and to be completely honest, I have no clue who I even want to win, due to the fact I like so many of these damn horses!  Although, when in doubt I always go to whatever horse Mike Smith is riding, due to my undying love for a man who is six inches shorter and a hell of a lot of weight less than me.  I have always had a soft spot for Hansen (I’ve been following him since his first race, thank you TVG), but I don’t think his riding style will win this Derby; I don’t trust early speed in this group (and I am not ready to admit, I think my white horse may just really peak as a miler).  Union Rags, I would not be surprised if he won, but I don’t think he will, I think everyone want that “hero horse”, the next potential Triple Crown winning horse, and early on people though Rags was it.  To me, whom much pressure gets to the horse, and the connections, as racing fans, we tend to get ahead of ourselves with these babies on the track. Bodemeister, as the favorite, can easily win this (and with Mike aboard, I will be happy if he does), but how often does the favorite win the Derby?  I have great respect for the majority of these horse’s campaigns (minus the few lucky winners, cough cough Laison, coughcough). But here is my point (bare with me I’ve had a long week at work and I’ve consumed a decent amount of wine this evening) … I think we all need to watch out for DADDY LONG LEGS.  Now I don’t know that much about this beautiful, chestnut colt, besides the fact that he had a shitty 12th place finish in the BCJ, he also has, three first place and a fourth place finish underneath his girth.  First of all this year’s Scat Daddy’s really intrigue me.  They can really run on anything, and they are all just very versatile horses.  DADDY LONG LEGS is out of Dreamy Maiden by Meadowlake, who has usually produced horses for shorter distances, but DLL had proven he could go distance by winning the UAE Derby, back on Dubai World Cup night.  The UAE Derby is 1 3/16 miles, where as Kentucky is 1 1/4, so he will have to push himself a little bit harder, but I think this horse can really do it (and hopefully at good odds, so I can make some money!!) Aidan O’Brien is the trainer of DLL and all I really know about him is that this guy can win races. DLL went up against some of the best international horses in March and demolished the field on the Tepata surface, and after winning in what is essentially quick sand, I think he will work well on the dirt.  Other than that I just have no facts or information on why this horse could win, just a feeling that he can surprise us all.  


... and hey he does owe me some money that I lost on him in BCJ


No comments:

Post a Comment